Auckland: No parade for Falun Gong

21 Nov

http://www.facts.org.cn/Reports/200711/t70744.htm

The man in charge of Auckland’s Santa Parade is determined Falun Gong members will not take part in the event. The Wellington City Council decided to allow members of the Chinese spiritual group to participate in the capital’s parade at the weekend after they threatened court action.

But it will be a different story in Auckland. Chairman of the Santa Parade Trust in the Queen City, Michael Barnett, says the group cannot assure him they will not hand out pamphlets if they are in this Sunday’s parade, so he is not budging. He says the parade is about entertaining children, not propaganda.

Mr Barnett says he is quite happy to sit down with the Human Rights Commission to talk about the issue next year. He had been approached by the Commission about the issue, but says it is too late to do anything before this year’s parade.

Mr Barnett says there is a large representation from China in the parade anyway.

Meanwhile balmy weather conditions saw more than 70,000 thousand people gather in Wellington’s city centre to watch the annual Christmas Parade yesterday afternoon.

(NZPA, November 19, 2007)

Advertisements

One Response to “Auckland: No parade for Falun Gong”

  1. Mr WordPress November 21, 2007 at 3:13 am #

    Hi, this is a comment.
    To delete a comment, just log in, and view the posts’ comments, there you will have the option to edit or delete them.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: